If you’re planning to visit Hanoi in December, you might be wondering what the weather will be like. December is one of the coldest months in Hanoi, but it’s also an exciting time to visit the city. Trong bài viết này, we’ll give you a comprehensive guide on what to expect from the Hanoi weather in December.
What to Expect in Hanoi Weather in December?
In December, Hanoi experiences a transition from the autumn season to winter. The weather in Hanoi during this month is generally mild and cool, with average temperatures ranging from 14°C (57°F) to 20°C (68°F). Here are some key characteristics of the weather in Hanoi in December:
1. Temperature: The temperatures gradually drop throughout the month, with cooler nights and mornings. Tuy nhiên, it is not as cold as some other regions in northern Vietnam.
2. Humidity: The humidity levels are lower compared to the summer months, making the weather more comfortable.
3. Rainfall: December is considered to be a relatively dry month in Hanoi, with little rainfall. Tuy nhiên, occasional drizzles or light showers can still occur.
4. Fog: Dense fog is quite common, especially in the early mornings and evenings, which can reduce visibility.
5. Sunshine: There are fewer sunny days in December, but when the sun does come out, it provides pleasant warmth.
It is advisable to pack some light sweaters, jackets, and comfortable footwear to accommodate the cool temperatures and occasional showers during your visit to Hanoi in December.
How to Prepare for Hanoi Weather in December?
If you’re planning to visit Hanoi in December, it’s essential to pack appropriately for the weather. Here are some things that you should consider bringing:
1. Layer your clothing: December in Hanoi can be chilly, especially in the evenings. Layering your clothing will allow you to adjust to varying temperatures throughout the day. Start with a light sweater or jacket and add a heavier outer layer as needed.
2. Bring warm clothing: Pack warmer clothes such as long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, long pants, and jackets. Don’t forget to include a hat, scarf, and gloves to protect yourself from chilly winds.
3. Check the weather forecast: Stay updated with the weather forecast for Hanoi before your trip. This will give you a better idea of what to expect during your stay and help you plan accordingly.
4. Carry an umbrella or raincoat: December in Hanoi can also be rainy. Carry an umbrella or a compact raincoat to protect yourself from unexpected showers.
5. Comfortable shoes: Opt for comfortable shoes suitable for walking, as Hanoi is a city best explored on foot. Make sure they are also suitable for slightly wet conditions during possible rainfall.
6. Stay hydrated: Despite the cooler temperatures, it’s important to drink enough water to stay hydrated. Carry a water bottle with you and drink regularly.
7. Consider air pollution: Hanoi can sometimes experience high levels of air pollution, especially during winter months. If you are sensitive to air pollution, you may want to bring a mask to protect yourself.
8. Plan indoor activities: If the weather becomes too cold or rainy, plan some indoor activities such as visiting museums, quán cà phê, or shopping centers to keep yourself warm and entertained.
Remember to keep an eye on the weather conditions during your trip and be prepared to adjust your plans accordingly.
Pros and Cons of Visiting Hanoi in December
- Pleasant weather: The cool temperatures and low humidity make December a pleasant time to explore the city.
- Fewer crowds: Compared to other months, December sees fewer tourists, which means that you can enjoy the city without being too crowded.
- Festive atmosphere: December is the month of Christmas and New Year, which means that the city is decorated with festive lights and decorations.
- Cool temperatures: If you’re not used to cold temperatures, you might find it challenging to adjust to the weather in December.
- Shorter days: The daylight hours in December are shorter compared to other months, which means that you have less time to explore the city during the day.
- Higher prices: Since it’s the holiday season, some hotels and tourist attractions might charge higher prices than usual.
Major Events in Hanoi in December
1. Capital’s Flower Festival: Held annually in December, this festival showcases a wide variety of flowers and plants. It is a popular event for locals and tourists to enjoy the vibrant colors and fragrances of the flowers.
2. Hanoi International Film Festival: This biennial event attracts filmmakers, actors, and film enthusiasts from around the world. It showcases both local and international films, and includes screenings, premieres, and awards ceremonies.
3. Hanoi Traditional Craft Village Festival: This event promotes and celebrates the rich cultural heritage of Vietnam’s traditional craft villages. Visitors can witness craftsmen demonstrating their skills, as well as purchase traditional handicrafts and products.
4. Winter Festival at Thang Long Imperial Citadel: Thang Long Citadel is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and during December, it hosts a winter festival. The festival features cultural performances, traditional music, dance, and food, providing visitors with a glimpse into the city’s history and traditions.
5. Hanoi Craft Link Fair: This fair provides a platform for artisans and craftsmen to showcase their products, such as handmade textiles, đồ gốm, nữ trang, và hơn thế nữa. It is a great opportunity to support local artisans and purchase unique, handcrafted items.
6. Hanoi Music Festival: This annual music festival features both local and international artists from various genres, including pop, rock, classical, and traditional Vietnamese music. It provides a lively and entertaining atmosphere for music lovers in Hanoi.
7. New Year’s Eve countdown celebrations: December 31st marks the end of the year, and Hanoi hosts several countdown events with live music, performances, and fireworks. The most popular locations for celebrations are Hoan Kiem Lake and the Old Quarter, where locals and tourists gather to welcome the new year together.
Alternatives to Outdoor Activities in Hanoi in December
Since the weather in December is relatively cool, you might want to consider indoor activities instead of outdoor ones. Here are some alternatives:
1. Visit Hoan Kiem Lake: This picturesque lake is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Take a leisurely walk around the lake and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. You can also visit Ngoc Son Temple, which is located on an islet in the lake.
2. Khám phá khu phố cổ: Wander through the winding streets of Hanoi’s Old Quarter and soak in the vibrant atmosphere. The area is known for its narrow streets, Thị trường địa phương, and traditional architecture. Don’t forget to try some local street food while you’re there.
3. Ghé thăm Văn Miếu: This well-preserved temple is Vietnam’s first national university and is dedicated to Confucius. Explore the beautiful courtyards and gardens, and learn about the history of education in Vietnam.
4. Take a street food tour: Hanoi is famous for its street food culture. Join a guided street food tour and sample various delicious dishes like pho, banh mi, Tốt cha, and egg coffee. It’s a fun way to experience the city’s culinary scene.
5. Explore the Hanoi Opera House: Built in the early 20th century, the Hanoi Opera House is a stunning example of French colonial architecture. If you’re lucky, you can catch a performance or take a guided tour of the building.
6. Viếng Lăng Bác: Pay your respects to Vietnam’s iconic leader, Ho Chi Minh, by visiting his mausoleum. Note that it’s important to dress appropriately and follow certain rules when visiting.
7. Take a day trip to Halong Bay: While not technically in Hanoi, Halong Bay is only a few hours away and definitely worth a visit. Explore the enchanting limestone islands, go kayaking or take a boat tour to fully appreciate this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
8. Enjoy the Hanoi Christmas Market: If you’re visiting in December, don’t miss the Hanoi Christmas Market. Experience the festive atmosphere while shopping for unique Christmas gifts or trying delicious holiday treats.
9. Visit the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology: Learn about the diverse culture and traditions of Vietnam’s ethnic groups at this informative museum. It showcases artifacts, exhibits, and even reconstructed traditional houses.
10. Attend a Water Puppet Show: Watch an enchanting water puppet performance, a traditional Vietnamese art form that dates back to the 11th century. Shows often take place at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre in Hanoi.
Remember to check the latest travel advisories and health guidelines before traveling to Hanoi, as conditions may vary.
Hanoi in December offers a unique experience for travelers who want to explore the city without being too hot or crowded. Although it’s a winter month, the weather is still pleasant, with cool temperatures and low humidity.
If you’re planning to visit Hanoi in December, it’s essential to pack appropriately for the weather and consider indoor activities as an alternative to outdoor ones. With fewer crowds and a festive atmosphere, December is a great time to explore the city’s museums, shopping malls, and food scene.
Tổng thể, Thời tiết Hà Nội tháng 12 can offer a memorable experience for travelers who want to enjoy the city’s culture, history, and cuisine in a comfortable and relaxed setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the temperature like in Hanoi in December?
The average temperature in Hanoi in December is around 17°C (63°F), with highs reaching up to 21°C (70°F) and lows dropping to 13°C (55°F).
Does it rain in Hanoi in December?
December is the start of the dry season in Hanoi, which means that there’s less rainfall compared to other months. You can expect around 20 mm of rainfall throughout the month.
What should I pack for Hanoi in December?
It’s essential to pack warm clothes, an umbrella or raincoat, comfortable shoes, sunscreen, và kính mát.
What are some indoor activities to do in Hanoi in December?
You can visit museums, go shopping, or try street food.
Is December a good time to visit Hanoi?
Vâng, December is a good time to visit Hanoi because of the pleasant weather, fewer crowds, and festive atmosphere.